SGA is an independent, non-party political and non-sectarian organisation whose objectives are to:-- assist governing bodies in furthering the interests of pupils in Surrey schools;
- share information and encourage co-operation between governing bodies and between schools;
- provide a vehicle for expressing collective views of Governors and make appropriate representations to the Local Authority, National Governance Association and other relevant bodies;
- further effective relationships with the LA, NGA, DfE and other relevant bodies;
- act collectively to promote and protect the integrity of education in the county.
as an association on behalf of Surrey Governance we are very much engaged at all levels in the transition from the SCC/Babcock 4S partnership programme to the new Schools -led System - most especially in using our influences to ensure the highest standards of collaboration, cooperation and communication with the existing as well as the many new agencies involved at all levels.
Our vision is to support Surrey Governors and Trustees in their work supporting their schools to provide the best education for every child in Surrey, so that Surrey children can achieve to the best of their ability.
Surrey County Council contributes funds to enable us to do this. We have an action plan, with goals, and monitor our progress regularly. Each year we hold conferences These are a way to bring current issues to the attention of Governors and provide a forum for discussion and networking. We maintain a website, which is intended as a source of information on Governors, bringing together any national, regional and local information we find and linking to any relevant websites.
We also have responsibility for ensuring there is governor representation on a number of relevant education groups in Surrey – such as Schools Forum, the admissions forum and the Education Select Committee. And we organise the election of appropriate representative governors to these bodies A priority is to provide all Governors with more information on what each of these groups does, and the effectiveness of governor involvement.
We have a partnership framework with the Local Authority, which scopes out the relationship and expectations of both parties, and we are working on a similar framework with all service providers and agencies that support governance in Surrey.
The Surrey Governance Association is administered by an Executive Committee elected annually at the Annual General Meeting, currently with a core of 12 members. This committee meets two or three times a term to direct the work of the Association We welcome your thoughts and contributions to governance
The Purpose of Governors
1. The purpose of Governors is to provide confident, strategic leadership and to create robust accountability, oversight and assurance for educational and financial performance.
2. All boards, no matter what type of schools or how many schools they govern, have three core functions:
- Ensuring clarity of vision, ethos and strategic direction;
- Holding executive leaders to account for the educational performance of the organisation and its pupils, and the performance management of staff; and
- Overseeing the financial performance of the organisation and making sure its money is well spent.
We need your experience
Why don’t you share your Governors experiences with colleagues through the pages of the SGA website and Termly Bulletins? Please email any contribution you wish to include from 50 – 500 words ideally as a word document with any pictures via firstname.lastname@example.org
Interested in Governance?We are always looking for new governors to swell our ranks and perform some important functions in the Surrey education system currently a new developing Schools -Led System. Read more...
Calling our support governors, ASGs or those governors with a little time to offer.Read more...